HISTORY OF THE CHAMBERSBURG
(Photo: CPD's first motorcycle in 1920)
The Chambersburg Police Department was established by Ordinance dated January 16th, 1818. The ordinance provided that four men be employed to "watch and patrol the streets of Chambersburg, to guard the property of the inhabitants, as far as in their power, from incendiaries, thieves and plunderers and to arrest all vagrants and night walkers found on the streets and also call the hours".
(Photo: Police at the Square in 1888)